Monthly Archives: June 2014

What is covered by Flood Insurance?

Many home and business owners don’t know what is covered under flood insurance, and if it is really worth spending the money on. The truth is; flood insurance will save you a lot of time and money in the long run, especially if you live in a high-risk area that is prone to flooding on an annual basis.

So what is generally covered by Flood Insurance?

Direct physical damage to your building or to its contents by, or from a flood is covered by your flood insurance policy. An example would be a plumbing issue. If this issue was caused directly by the overwhelming amount of water from a flood, it would be covered. If your toilet overflows and there is no flooding present in your home due to a natural disaster, then it will not be covered.

To learn more about Flood Insurance and how to go about implementing a policy for your property, check out what is covered for your specific plan here.

Here is what IS insured under the building property coverage for flood insurance: the insured building and its foundation, electrical and plumbing systems, water heaters, central air conditioning equipment, furnaces, permanently installed carpeting and paneling (including wallboard, unfinished flooring, cabinets, and bookcases), machinery, canopies, walk-in freezers, outdoor antennas and other aerials attached to the structure, and fire extinguishing equipment and fire sprinkler systems.

Purchasing Personal Property Coverage is also a smart idea, as many items can be destroyed during a flood in your home or business. Generally speaking, here is what is covered for personal property: machinery and equipment, furniture and fixtures such as chandeliers, other personal property owned by you and used at your business, merchandise held in storage, portable and window air conditioners, microwave ovens and dishwashers, carpeting or rugs not included in the building coverage, clothes washers and dryers food freezers (other than walk ins) and the food included in them, certain valuable items such as artwork and furs,  and non licensed and self-propelled vehicles if stored inside the insured building and used to service the location.

Many things are covered under the personal property and building property coverage, but here is what is not covered under either policy: Damage caused by mold or mildew that could have been avoided, damage caused by a sewer backup unless it was caused directly by the flood, currency, precious metals, and valuable papers such as recorded data, script, or stock certificates, property and belongings outside of the building or in another structure (trees, plants, septic systems, walkways, decks, patios, hot tubs, swimming pools) , financial losses caused by business interruption or loss of insured property, and most vehicles such as cars and their parts.


Why Professionals Should Clean Your Home After a Fire

Many homeowners believe that after the firefighters leave after putting out the fire, the danger is done and over with. This is not the truth; unless you have professionals help clean the smoke and soot damage, your property will never be returned to its former state. Although the techniques behind fire and smoke restoration aren’t extremely difficult, it still requires knowledge, experience, and manpower to complete the job in an effective manner. In turn, this means that a professional should always be called in this type of situation.
Even though the fire has been put out, what is left behind will continue to damage the house if not taken care of. If ash and smoke are left untouched for an extended amount of time it will begin to corrode and discolor your surfaces, as well as leave a lingering pungent odor. Professionals in the field can stop this before it becomes a larger issue if they are contacted in a timely manner. There are many companies that advertise fire and smoke restoration, but only companies with proper training and certification should be hired. Any company that advertises IICRC technicians means that their technicians have undergone extensive coursework and uphold all industry standards to date.
Professionals can clean smoke damage and restore items that were directly affected, but they must be taken to an offsite location to stop any further damage from being sustained due to ash. Ash begins to discolor surfaces quite quickly, it can happen within minutes. After a couple of days have passed, the ash will cause walls to be discolored permanently, as well as clothing and any upholstery. Also, wood and any vinyl materials will need to be replaced.

If you do not call in a professional to clean the damage, the cost for services will catapult after a couple of weeks. Many items in the home may need to be replaced due to discoloration. Also, any lingering odors will only intensify, and it can become very distracting. Ash is acidic and if you wait to call the experts, the more damage will be sustained.

When a team of professionals first arrives to your property, the first thing they will do is indentify all of the affected materials and the source of lingering odors. The only way to properly clean smoke and fire damage is to be thorough and meticulous. Ash residue can spread easily throughout the building, in turn causing nearly everything on the property to need restoration services. These experts will determine what and what cannot be salvaged, and will remove any built up ash from the surfaces. Once this is finished the company will locate the odor and treat it with detergents that are made specifically for neutralizing the odor that is present. Once the materials are finished being treated they will be sealed off to prevent any further damage from occurring in the future.

If you need any type of repairs from fire damage, make sure to contact the Restoration Pros for expert service from IICRC certified technicians!