What Are the Dangers of Untreated Water Damage?

Flooding Disasters Can Be Expensive and Pose Health Dangers

Water damage can negatively impact your health, whether from a small leak or an unanticipated flood. Many dangers are associated with untreated water damage. Knowing and understanding them can help keep you and your loved ones safe in case you experience water damage. 

Mold Infestation

If not treated immediately, water damage can result in mold and mildew growth, which, apart from making your home lack a sensory appeal, causes allergies, chronic respiratory issues and severe migraines. 

Following a water damage disaster, mold growth in most homes is practically guaranteed. 3 out of 5 homes experience mold growth months after a water damage disaster, especially if the situation was not handled on time.   

Structural Instability

Water damage impacts not only your health but also the stability of your home. For instance, your foundation could get shaky if water seeps through the ground. It might seem insignificant, but with time, the foundation holding your house together will weaken, making it unstable. Such conditions jeopardize your safety and anyone in the area, like your family or neighbors. 

Health Hazard

Different causes of water damage bring about different dangers. When it results from an external source like flooding after a heavy downpour, you have to consider factors like toxic chemical wastes that may have been ferried to your home. Such could cause even more health harm if left untreated. Additionally, cleaning flood water from external sources by yourself is a hazard on its own. Ensure to call in the professionals to help you clean the mess. They will come with the right equipment and use the appropriate products to counter the effects of toxic chemicals that might have been present in the water.


The reason you are advised to cut your power supply in the event of water damage is the risk of electrocution. Water doesn’t mix well with electricity. When the water comes into contact with wiring in your home, some get damaged, exposing you to live wires. 

These can result in brutal accidents and might even cause fires if they spark. Unlike other dangers of water damage like mold growth, electrocution can kill you instantly; therefore, be careful when handling such a situation.


Some insects, such as cockroaches and silverfish, love wet conditions. If you have untreated water damage in any part of your home, such pests will be present. Additionally, rodents like rats could break into your home in search of water. You should frequently check your insulation or carpeting for signs of water damage to prevent such pests from making a home out of your home.

  • FAQ on Water Damage

    How Can You Cleanup Water Damage on Your Own?

    Cleaning up water damage can be a difficult and time-consuming task. However, there are some things that you can do to clean up the damage and prevent further damage from occurring. The first thing that you need to do is to remove any wet items from the area. This includes carpeting, furniture, draperies, and anything else that is wet. Once you have removed these items, you need to dry the area as much as possible. You can use a wet/dry vacuum to remove the water from the area. You can also use fans to help dry the area. Once the area is dry, you need to disinfect it. This can be done by using a bleach solution or a disinfectant. Once the area is dry and disinfected, you need to repair any damage that has been done. This includes any holes in the walls or ceilings. You also need to repair any damaged flooring. If you have any questions about how to cleanup water damage, you should contact a professional. They will be able to give you more information and help you repair the damage.

    How fast does mold grow after a water leak?

    Under the right conditions, mold can grow within 24-48 hours. Factors that contribue to mold growth include the temperature of the area impacted by water damage and the types of materials that are saturated.

    What happens if you leave water damage?

    Leaving water damage untreated will cause it to spread, potentially damaging other areas of your home. Additionally, long-term exposure to water can lead to the growth of mold and mildew, which can cause serious health problems.

    What is the best way to dry out water damage?

    The first step is to remove the water source. If the water is coming from a leaky pipe, then you will need to fix the pipe. If the water is coming from a flood, then you will need to wait for the water to recede. Once the water source has been removed, you will need to dry out the area. This can be done with a wet/dry vacuum or by using fans and dehumidifiers. You will also need to remove any wet items from the area, such as carpeting, furniture, or clothing.

    How can you tell if a wall or ceiling has water damage

    You can tell if a wall or ceiling has water damage if it is sagging, discolored, or has water stains. A professional restoration contractor can use a moisture meter or infrared camera to detect wet spots and hidden water damage.